Licensed Equine Dental Providers

Starting October 1st, 2018, all applicants are required to submit their fingerprints to the Board before licensure. Click here for more information


Before You Apply for a License


  • Applicants for an Equine Dental Provider (EDP) license in Texas must be certified by either the International Association of Equine Dentists (IAED) or the Equine Dental Providers of America (EDPA), or another Board-approved entity. If you meet this requirement, you may complete the EDP application online. 6 sets out the eligibility for application and examination.


Applying for a License

Applicants must pass the state licensing exam prior to becoming licensed in Texas. The state licensing exam includes jurisprudence questions related to the Veterinary Licensing Act (laws), Licensing Rules (Chapter 571) and Rules of Professional Conduct (Chapter 573).
Step 1: APPLY ONLINE Start the application process for your license online at any time, gathering the required documents and getting your fingerprints done at IdentoGo.

Apply by clicking here: SELF-SERVICE LICENSING PORTAL LINK to create an account, register and begin the application for licensure. Complete the online application and upload, or request your issuing entity to send to us, ALL of the required supporting documentation requested in the application.

Step 2: TAKE THE EXAM Once we have determined that your application is complete, you will be emailed instructions on how to schedule and take your State Board Exam (SBE), including your needed Applicant ID. You may take the exam online, at a time and place of your choosing, once you are cleared to take it. Your license will be issued within 7 business days after we receive your passing score. Applicants that require ADA accommodations for the test, click here for the request form.

Applicants must pass the State Board Exam (SBE) prior to becoming licensed in Texas. The SBE includes jurisprudence questions related to the Veterinary Licensing Act (laws), Licensing Rules (Chapter 571) and Rules of Professional Conduct (Chapter 573).

Step 3: GET LICENSED After all of the above is finished, we will issue you a license number and an Authority to Practice Letter which you will use to practice until your wall license can be printed and mailed to you. Once received, please frame and hang your wall license in plain sight of the public in your workplace to be in compliance..
If you have any questions regarding exams, applications, or licensing please contact the Licensing Department at 512-305-7555, or email


EDP Continuing Education

EDPs are required to obtain 6 hours of CE annually. You can find acceptable continuing education offerings through IAED and EDPA.  Continuing education obtained before you receive your license will not count towards your annual requirement.  It is your responsibility to make sure the continuing education you take is acceptable. See the Continuing Education page for more information.



Records note: You must keep hard copies or electronic copies of your certificates for 4 years, as you will be required to produce them in case of an audit. Failure to meet the continuing education requirement is grounds for disciplinary actionSee Rule 573.66. 


Helpful Links:

Chapter 571 Licensing

Chapter 573 Rules of Professional Conduct

Chapter 575 Practice and Procedure

Chapter 577 General Administration and Duties

Continuing Education Page